Gujiyas are delicious dumplings that are very popular in India especially when festivals are around the corner. States like Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Madhyapradesh have invented various versions of Gujiya; it’s more like they have built their culture around this sweet dish.
Yet if you are likely to avoid Gujiya due to high sugar intake, you can always switch to VIStevias 100% natural sugar-free powder.
For making the dough, you’ll need :
- 2 cups refined flour
- 1 cup clarified butter
- Water (to mix)
For making the filling:
- 1 cup of khoya
- 5 gram of VIStevia Powder of sugar
- 1 tsp green cardamom, powdered
- 1 tbsp of almonds, finely chopped
For making the syrup:
- 5 gram of VIStevia Powder
- 1 cup of water
Let’s begin by preparing the dough
- Rub 1/4 cup ghee into the flour and knead into a stiff dough with water.
- Now, leave it to rest for at least half an hour.
Then heading towards the preparation of the filling
- Saute the khoya over medium heat till it looks somewhat fried.
- Take off the heat and when it cools down, mix in the VIStevia powder accordingly followed by cardamom, and almonds.
- Shape the filling into ovals about 21 cm length and 1 cm of thickness.
- Make balls of the dough and roll it out into 1 cm / 1/8 in thick rounds.
- Take a round, wet the edges with water and place a piece of filling over one half.
- Fold the other half over and press the edges together and form a seal.
Now let’s turn towards decoration
- Start by cutting off the edges with a fancy cutter or make a design by pinching and twisting all along the sealed edges.
- Make all the Gujiyas in this way. Heat ghee in a kadhai( cauldron). To check if the ghee is hot enough put a piece of dough in it. Now, If it comes up at once, add as many Gujiyas as fit in comfortably.
- Turn them over and lower the heat to medium level. Fry it till it turns golden brown on all sides. Lift it out and leave it to drain on absorbent paper.
- Make sugar syrup by cooking water and VIStevia sugar-free powder together, till one thread consistency.
- Dip the Gujiyas in it, lift them and let them dry on a plate.
- Fry the rest, increasing the heat for a few seconds before adding the next lot.
- It can be eaten hot or at room temperature and can be stored in air-tight containers.
Every occasion calls for Gujiyas and a bunch of friends! Make your friends and Folks happy with this utterly delicious “Desi Gujiya” making! I can already feel the mouthwatering taste of Gujiyas. Can You?